Thursday, April 29, 2010

My journey into IIMB - The Beginning !!

Well ... this is all about a boy who always used to complain about life (and has now decided he will NEVER !!)- life being cruel ONLY to him and he never getting anything that he wishes to or deserves to.

It is not just an interview experience but it encompasses his mad chase for his dream, his journey till he achieves his dream and all the other people who have made this journey colorful and interesting. Let me start ..... the boy describing his own story ......


September,2009 was the month !!. The alarm started ringing for me - probably a wake up call. I decided enough of job now! I need to do something different - but 'what' ?? (My friends would like to confirm about this - I have discussed various options right from M Tech , MS-even though I had scrapped GRE once, even joining an NGO was considered an option - phew !!!)

After doing a 'very very careful' analysis (99% of it revolved around what my roommates were doing - vigorously preparing for MBA and the remaining 1% was my dream - do nothing) I decided that it was time to do MBA (Don't ask me why I wanted to do an MBA suddenly - I couldn't answer this question satisfactorily even in my final interview). Wow just 2 months in hands and a mission impossible ahead !!

After getting fantastic percentile (there is sarcastic tone to this - please appreciate) in my first ever MOCK CAT of Career launcher, I immediately realized following points :

[1] This year's CAT is not for me. But I would start preparing nicely for CAT 2010 right from here. I advised myself many times - take this year's CAT as another MOCK, simple.

[2] The scariest factor for me, was turning out to be those very friends who once showed to me this damn MBA dream. Their everyday discussion about various 'interesting' DI sets, how one guy managed to crack a dare-to-solve-me puzzle while he was working in office (it shows his office productivity !!), one guy roaming about day and night in my room with word list in hand, guys giving one MOCK test after another so passionately and cracking all of them - a perfect demotivating scene for me. In short these all were studying more than me, scoring more than me, and having more fun than me.

[3] I naturally turned to my group of best-est Comp Sci - Tronix friends to find solace. But I realized almost all are busy with their own studies (PG studies). But to my relief there was one (who also hopefully will not remain anymore) - as dying as me to get out of this useless job life and do MBA for no reason. He has been my single ever source of inspiration - I really mean it. (Say thanks to me for this line, Sahil:))

There are some more interesting characters in the plot - read some NRI's - Pravin, Chaitanya- who had come to India, as if just to chide me - DON'T CRY ANYMORE !! There is one more guy nicknamed 'Padhai Baba' aka Harshal - who was my roomie in Hyderabad and had cracked IIMB in 2009 (phew he will be my senior in IIMB :)). Another is a Tech Wizard - Ankit, peacefully dwelling in Microsoft. Another kool guy - Rahul-who cracked IISc and always told me how the job life was lot better than PG life and hence I should enjoy my job and not think of any MBA. Then the Tronix guys - Ameya, Kadya, Nirmal, Pandhri - I can't do the mistake of missing their names here

All kinds of advices flowing in from all the corners in the last two weeks as the D-Day was approaching near. Quant me Probablity padhna, Puzzles jyada solve karna, RC's se jyada Grammar puchenge ... I always knew these are of no use to me this year. My preparation even at that point was not that great to really start looking into all these recommended areas.



Next Part Link - here

13 comments:

  1. Waaah Kaustubh ... never saw this side of urs before ... newys ur fascination with coffee is eveident from ur blog url ... 'coffee' with 'KP'

    Nice going ... waiting for ur second chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shreya : Just a humble try yaar at blogging .... I m not good at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wohoooo.. Bingo KP on cracking IIM-B. proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KP nice1..congrats on cracking CAT..I hope this blog can inspire me to do the same..
    One thing missing is "F" word is not used..Lik "F*** yaar, sab kuch na kuch kar rahe hai..mein kuch nahi" :-P..Waiting for ur second chapter..Jaldi se likho..Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anny ... nd yaa ... the "F" word ... I missd it :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I was taking this exam lightly but it doesn't mean that God should also take this lightly."
    Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jaude kp job kar :P
    to think of it u deserved it
    seriously congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. this should be the beginning of an interesting affair :)

    KP phoda be... Chopde ka yaha pe jyada game mat lena, do that after u go to B... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dude.. awesome man.. congrats.. wish i cud zero in on my PG sometime.. all the best.. btw nice read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "one guy roaming about day and night in my room with word list in hand, guys giving one MOCK test after another so passionately and cracking all of them - a perfect demotivating scene for me."
    and one more.....
    "There are some more interesting characters in the plot - read some NRI's - Pravin, Chaitanya- who had come to India, as if just to chide me - DON'T CRY ANYMORE !!"

    At least now KP, DON'T CRY ANYMORE....
    Congrtas, Key Pee!!.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The title of the post could be "My Experiments With Truth" or "Long Walk To Freedom" or my favorite "Mein Kampf".

    ReplyDelete